Please see this post for the latest charts – Twitter is now the leading hospital Social Media site
On Saturday, March 14, 2009, I took a snapshot of Hospital social media activity. Using links from the big list, I gathered the following data:
- Account creation date
- Number of Videos posted
- Number of YouTube Channel Views
- Number of Channel Subscribers
- Account creation date (first update)
- Number of Updates
- Number of Followers
- Number of Fans / Members
Here are some results. The original data is available as an Excel spreadsheet, please email me if you want a copy.
First, take a look at the adoption rate for YouTube and Twitter:
No surprises here, but it is interesting to see the rapid growth on Twitter. It took 26 months to reach 100 YouTube accounts, and 17 months to get the same number for Twitter. At this pace I expect crossover will happen in the next four to six weeks.
- There are 121 YouTube channels, with a total of 4,575 videos.
- The average number of videos per channel is 38, the median is 19
- The average number of subscribers is 28, the median is 11
- The average number of Channel Views is 1,736, the median is 629
Firsts and Mosts:
- First on board – The first Hospital Youtube channel was set up by the Arkansas Children’s Hospital on Sept. 13, 2006
- Number of Videos – Avera Health has 377 videos on it’s YouTube channel – more than anyone else.
- Number of Subscribers – M.D. Anderson Cancer Center leads with 575 subscribers
- Number of Channel Views – Cooper University Hospital leads with 24,383 views. This is interesting because the number was only 12,500 on Feb 2, 2009. Could it be Kelly Ripa?
- There are 103 Twitter accounts, with a total of 9,223 updates
- The average number of updates is 90, the median is 37
- The average number of followers is 294, the median 202
Firsts and Mosts:
- First on board – The first Twitter account was set up by St. Jude Children’s on October 23, 2007
- Most Followers – Henry Ford Health has the most with 1,489 followers
- Most Updates – Alegent Health leads with 1349 updates, almost three times more than the second most active account, @HenryFordNews
Facebook doesn’t offer much for number crunching. You can’t even figure out when an account was created. The only stat I can track is the number of Fans or Members for a given account.
- There are 82 Facebook accounts, with the average membership of 821. The median is 163 – which tells you that a few accounts have some high numbers
- Most Fans / Members – Once again, St. Jude Children’s has the most with 33,252 fans
Want more? The original data is available as an Excel spreadsheet, please email me if you want a copy. Let me know if this is useful to you, and if there are any other statistics that we should follow.
While fun, these numbers don’t address the quality of the programs run by the 190+ hospitals tracked. And in Social Networking that counts for much more than sheer volume. However, monitoring the growth has some value, and I plan to capture these snapshots at regular intervals (possibly monthly). In six months to year, we should have enough data to see trends.